To diet, or not to diet? It's a decision only you can make. However, if you do choose to go on a diet, use our exclusive online tool to find one that has shown results for people similar to you.
Last month, we surveyed more than 3,500 users of Withings connected scales. We asked them about their eating habits, and, for those seeking to lose weight, we also asked them about the diets they were following or had followed in the past.
We then linked information gathered on diet types and duration with weight loss profiles. After some serious data crunching, we were able to determine which diets worked the best for the participants of the study. Results indicate that the success of a diet varies according to age, gender, and BMI (body mass index).
Do you want to know what diet might work best for you? Use the drop-down menu to select your profile to see the diets that helped people like you lose more weight.
The Most Effective Diets
(according to the average observed weight loss, in lb)
Here’s a description of the diets you may see in the podium:
- Atkins: low-carbohydrate diet, based on cutting back on foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, and sweets
- Dukan: protein-based diet, based on eating lots of lean meats, low-fat dairy products, and vegetables
- Mediterranean: based on eating primarily fruits and vegetables, nuts, grains, fish, and olive oil
- Paleo: based on eating like the earliest humans, featuring meat, fish, grains, fruits, and the elimination of all processed foods
- Weight Watchers: based on being able to eat what you like while also reducing your total number of calories
In case you’d like a detailed glossary of diet types, here is a useful WebMED link.
Want to learn more about eating habits and weight loss? Take a look at some of our related blog articles.
About the study
This study cited above was conducted by Withings based on data gathered from a panel of more than 3,500 users of Withings connected scales. Weight loss was determined according to the declared diet duration, and to historical weight data.
Withings guarantees the confidentiality of personal data and protects the privacy of all its users. Therefore, all data used for this study was rigorously anonymized and aggregated in order to avoid any re-identification.
Withings CEO Cedric Hutchings is a contributor to Forbes.com. Read here the article he wrote about this study: Hungry For A Diet That Works? Dive Into Delicious Data.